Meet Roger Thomas! We welcome Roger as a featured blogger to Beet Fusion and invite you to check out his Beet Fusion first blog and follow his profile to get updates of new posts. To break the ice, we asked Roger a few things about himself and his career in supply chain. We look forward engaging, networking and learning with him and hope you will too!
- Tell us about yourself. What do you do in supply chain?
- I have spent twenty years advising and delivering on supply chain solutions for the manufacturing industry. My specialty focus is in leveraging analytics within Integrated Business Planning (IBP) processes. My implementation and change management experience ranges from focused start-ups to large, multinational enterprises.
- I currently live in Portland, OR with my wife and four children. Prior to Portland, we lived in Singapore and Silicon Valley.
- What cool thing are you working on now?
- My current focus is studying how manufacturing organizations can best leverage analytics in their IBP and S&OP processes.
- How did you get interested in supply chain as a career? (If supply chain isn’t specifically your career, how is your career related to supply chain and what interested you in the supply chain aspect of it)
- Accenture introduced me to manufacturing early in my career with an engagement at PACCAR. I remember sitting in a cubicle above a warehouse where every now and then something really big would drop and shake the building. I loved that! Subsequent adventures included scaling container cranes, working in an aerospace hanger, and a number of other high tech and process engagements in between.
- I have always loved learning about new manufacturing industries and technology’s role in driving supply chain innovation.
- What is your best piece of career advice?
- Before my first day on the job, my Dad reminded me this career I was starting would be marathon not a sprint. We’re both distance runners so the metaphor was as powerful as the perspective.
- What hobbies do you pursue in your leisure time?
- My wife and four kids (ages 7, 10, 14, & 16) fill most of my free time. I coach my two younger kids in soccer and support my 10 & 14 year-old daughters with their coding clubs.
- Outside of family time, my two passions are soccer and trail running. I play in an adult soccer league and serve on multiple youth soccer organizations. For trail running, I’m fortunate to live within walking distance of Portland’s beautiful Wildwood Trail.
- What topics are you most excited about discussing with other members in Beet Fusion?
- Finding new ways to leverage analytics within your supply chain processes.
- What supply chain trends of evolution are you anticipating will change your business?
- The accelerating trends of big data and IOT will push companies to further embrace their reliance on analytics. Today a majority of companies explore analytics through centers of excellence and targeted data science projects. But few companies have developed core processes and methods to operationalize analytical findings on an ongoing basis. This is changing and will prove to be a defining area of differentiation for competitive markets.
You can connect with Roger via LinkedIn or at email@example.com.